Saturday, September 16, 2017

Street Hypnosis by Sean Michael Andrews

Title: Street Hypnosis
Author: Sean Michael Andews
Format: Book, Kindle Book
Rating: Excellent
Due to his relentless use of YouTube and his excellent newsletter--not to mention his skill as the World's Fastest URL Registrant--Sean Michael Andrews (SMA) is one of the best known and most respected international teachers of street hypnosis. I've reviewed a number of his video products and generally been quite impressed by them. However, video and print are two very different media, so I wondered whether Mr. Andrews could write a book that would measure up to his videos and live instruction.

Well, in short, the answer is YES. His new book, Street Hypnosis, is not only an easy and enjoyable read, but a treasure trove of information for anyone who wants to practice street hypnosis.

As an aside, I believe that even if you intend to spend your entire career doing changework in an office--which is my main emphasis--you will benefit from practicing some street hypnosis. You will gain confidence in what you do as well as expanding your toolbelt. I once worked with a man who'd already been to see the best Ericksonian in town; the client's comment was "It did me no good. I don't think he even hypnotized me; we just talked." Now, I'm a fan of conversational, permissive hypnosis with lots of storytelling and metaphor, but when I asked this man what he needed in order to make the change, he said, "You know how people at shows forget their names and stuff. If you can do that, I'll know I'm really hypnotized." So I did a street routine with him, right there in my office. He had phenomenal results. That's true utilization.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand--I long ago commented that SMA's newsletter--which goes out to thousands--always feels like he wrote it just for me. His book has a similar quality; reading it feels much like we've sat down for a beer together, and he's filling me in on his vast knowledge gained through various adventures (and many misadventures) performing and teaching street hypnosis all over the world.

The book is written with the novice in mind, so in that sense, there's a lot of information (and some stories) I've already gleaned from SMA over the years. That said, I found some new insights. SMA covers the whole gamut of doing street hypnosis: how to understand it, why it's valuable, where to do it, how to get a crowd, how to pick your volunteers. He also covers the hypnosis itself, from the pre-talk through inductions, deepener, skits, and re-emergence. One thing I value is that SMA emphasizes safety and respect for your volunteers throughout the entire practice. He even addresses such issues as the history of street hypnosis, how to post hypnosis videos on YouTube, and which organizations and conventions might best fit the reader's interests.

Did I find anything to criticize? I'd say that there's a bit of overlap between the FAQ and the Parting Thoughts section, which feels redundant if you read the book straight through. Otherwise, it's a great read for any hypnotist.

Full Disclosure: SMA sent me a pre-release copy of his book for review. I count him among my friends, but as readers of this blog know, I don't let that keep me from making honest assessments.


No comments:

Post a Comment